The original collection system dates back to 1958. The current system includes approximately 23 miles of sewer pipe, 700 manholes and 5 pumping stations. Wastewater is conveyed by gravity through pipes ranging from 6 inches to 24 inches in diameter.

Pumping Stations
Four pumping station are located throughout town in areas where flow by gravity pipes cannot be achieved. The 5th pumping station, located at the Town Wharf on East Street, receives all the wastewater from the sewer system and conveys it directly to the Wastewater Treatment Plant. The treatment plant staff is responsible for the collection system and pumping stations.