- Building Department
- Required Inspections
Required Building Inspections
Town of Ipswich - Building Department - Required Inspections
To schedule an inspection Call: 978-356-6605 Ext:1 (24/7)
Excavation / Footings – Before Concrete
- After excavation, footing forms and any required steel is in place.
- If soil conditions are poor call for a separate excavation inspection
Foundation Walls– Before Concrete
- After wall forms and any required steel is in place.
Foundation Walls– Prior to Backfill
- After damp/water proofing and drainage is in place.
- Confirm setbacks and heights with proposed for zoning, Special Permit and Variance Decisions.
- Confirm setbacks and heights with proposed flood hazard area elevation certification if applicable.
- Registered Land Surveyor/ Engineer stamped As-Built uploaded to online permitting before framing begins.
Concrete Slab /Under Floor Inspection - Before Concrete
- All required steel, crushed stone, radon piping, drainage, insulation and vapor barrier are in place.
- All underground plumbing, gas, electrical and sheet metal/ mechanical inspections are complete.
Frame/ Rough Inspection - Building is “Dry-Inside” before siding.
- Framing, bracing, blocking, sheathing and weather resistive barrier is complete.
- Doors and windows are installed to manufactures specifications.
- Rough plumbing, gas and electrical inspections are complete.
- Fire blocking and stopping is installed at all required locations.
Fire Rated Assemblies/ Sprinkler & Alarm Systems
- Fire rated assemblies are installed to meet required rating standard.
- Fire suppression and/or fire protection system rough inspection.
Insulation/ Energy Efficiency Inspection
- Insulation installation and air sealing is complete
- HERS Raters Compliance Report/ Inspection checklist uploaded for new residential construction.
Final Inspection - Final required inspections as indicated on permit card
- Final plumbing, gas, electrical and fire inspections are complete.
- Assessors, Conservation, Health and Planning Departments sign-off as required.
- All conditions from Special Permit and/or Variance Decisions have been met.
- Confirmed HERS rating with performance tests results uploaded to online permitting.
- Final As-Built plot plan stamped by a registered Land Surveyor uploaded to online permitting.
- Flood elevation certificate stamped by a registered Engineer uploaded to online permitting.
Certificate of Occupancy will be issued when all of the applicable inspections and sign-offs are complete
- Construction Control - Required Site Review and Documentation by Registered Design Professional.
- NOTE: All Building Officials progress inspections are required in addition to Construction Control.
- Manufactured Homes - 24 hours notice required prior to the arrival of the boxes.
- Masonry Chimneys – when the throat, smoke shelf and make-up air are in place.
- Additional Inspection may be required at Building Officials discretion.
- IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE PERMIT HOLDER TO SCHEDULE ALL REQUIRED INSPECTIONS.
- Work covered without an inspection maybe required to be dismantled.
- It is required of all permit holders to schedule a final inspection to close out the permit at jobs end.
- An open permit is leaving behind unfinished business and future problems for property owners.