Can I do the construction myself? If so, do I have to be licensed?
A homeowner may act as their own general contractor and perform work on their own property exclusive of plumbing, gasfitting or wiring. Those disciplines require duly licensed professionals. Anyone perfuming work as contractor must possess a Construction Supervisor's License (CSL). There a specialty construction supervisor licenses for contractors who install wood or pellet stoves, insulation, roofing, siding, and windows. To qualify, one must pass an exam and once licensed, take minimum hours of continuing education courses. Anyone who does home improvements on owner/occupied one to four family dwellings, must possess a Home Improvement Registration (HIC). This program provides consumers protection through a Guarantee Fund. Homeowners aggrieved by a contractor may be able to collect up to $10,000.00 from this state fund. Bylaws

Show All Answers

1. When is a building permit required?
2. Can I do the construction myself? If so, do I have to be licensed?
3. Can I apply for a permit application? My contractor told me to apply for the permit.
4. How do I apply for a permit?
5. Can I begin work once I submit my online permit application?
6. How long does it take to obtain a permit?
7. How do I schedule a plumbing/gas inspection?
8. Can I do my own wiring, plumbing or gas work on my own residence?
9. Do I need a permit for an above ground swimming pool?
10. When are wiring inspections performed?